Your Rights when Stopped for a Suspected DWI Offense
Print out and place this page in your glove box to be prepared in the event you are ever stopped for drunk driving by the police in Louisiana.
It’s important to know that you have several rights:
- Once stopped by the police and you are not free to walk or drive away, you have the right to an attorney. You should request to speak to one as soon as possible.
- Never admit to having consumed alcohol or drugs
- Do not answer any questions or make any statements without a DWI lawyer being present.
- Politely refuse any field sobriety tests such as an HGN or pen test, reciting your ABCs, or any balance tests. YOU CANNOT PASS
- You can choose to refuse or submit to a Breath test. If you submit to the Breath test because you think you can pass it, but fail, demand an independent blood test as soon as possible.
If you are involved in an accident and alcohol may play a factor:
- Do not answer any questions without a lawyer.
- Do not discuss the accident, or how it happened, until you have spoken to a lawyer.